Wednesday 8 April 2020

A MAMILS' Paradise (#lockdown Singapore Day 1)

It was eerily quiet when we set off at 6.45am this morning ... until we had the weaving MAMILs on the road.

So much for getting my act together and documenting the life of the mother of an NS recruit in Singapore ... I suppose in some areas, I am not as organised as I really should be.

And now, we are in #lockdown - well, sort of. But, my eldest, now a third Sergeant, and a CQMS, has to report in each morning, collect the key and open up the stores.

Since he was posted to the Bukit Gombak camp, we've been up with the farmers, and I have driven him to camp, early - he likes to get in early and sit in silence before everyone else arrives. I suppose it's a type of "man cave" thing.

This morning, the first day of lockdown, which isn't really a lockdown, was no different.

Up with the farmers, and a sourdough (thank you Simply Bread) cream cheese and semi-sundried tomato sandwich (healthy and nutritious breakfast). A small box of grapes, a handful of vitamins, (well you have to, don't you?), a bottle of water and a tube of fruit tips for the afternoon (not very healthy).


As I sat in the car, waiting to leave, I wondered at the quietness of the car park. No families rushing out to deliver their children to early-morning school, no cleaners, no dog walkers, no one. Was this how the roads would be?



I'd like to say there wasn't a soul in sight as we drove out and turned onto Sixth Avenue and then Bukit Timah Road.

There was a distinct shortage of cars and red tail-lights - but no! There were red tail-lights, dancing around the lanes. MAMILs - that elusive creature, which appears on the road when the gas-guzzling monsters have disappeared.

This morning indeed was a MAMILs' paradise.


And now, after a regular early morning walk, avoiding the #workfromhome crowd that are discovering this novelty, I start my day.




As a private tutor, I have been working at home for years (and also visiting my pupils).

Now everything has moved online, and now, I am a master of multiple video apps. Sadly though, I have realised how lacking schools have been in reading students for learning remotely and using digital and shared applications.

Fortunately, my students and I have a headstart, we began working this way before the lockdown - and no visiting anyone came into force.
DiscoverLearning

But remote and online learning is for another post on another website ... 












No comments:

Post a Comment

A MAMILS' Paradise (#lockdown Singapore Day 1)

It was eerily quiet when we set off at 6.45am this morning ... until we had the weaving MAMILs on the road. So much for getting my act tog...