Saturday 15 June 2019

Nineteen Years and Counting

I suppose, when I arrived at 7.45am on a humid Sunday morning, my two cats rather annoyed at me for their 14-hour flight ordeal, that it never dawned on me I would be here for this long. Nor, that one day, two teenage sons in tow, that I would be experiencing my own form of National Service. 

My tale does not start at the beginning. Mind you, what decent tale ever does? Neither am I certain that it starts in the middle. But then time is relative, and who knows how much we really have?

I begin my recount at one of those momentous turning points. No epiphany, no revelation or sudden inspiration, but rather at a point when you realise that perhaps there is a choice of where you call home.

National Service in Singapore is a right of passage for any male over the age of 18 who is a Singapore citizen or has been born in Singapore as a Permanent Resident. While the mandatory nature of National Service has riled me at times, this journey within a journey, if embraced correctly, is a path to appreciation, and on so many levels. 

As a parent of an NS man - A term I still find hard to digest as my son is still a boy, although in the UK he is technically an adult - the first few posts will be a reflection of the intriguing experience I have been through over the past eight months. With another sixteen to go.

Then it will it start all over again with son number two.




No comments:

Post a Comment

A MAMILS' Paradise (#lockdown Singapore Day 1)

It was eerily quiet when we set off at 6.45am this morning ... until we had the weaving MAMILs on the road. So much for getting my act tog...